Thursday 21 February 2008

Super snoozin and lots of fun!

After reading a chapter of Gina Fords 'contented little baby' routine book this morning I planned to follow the 5 week old baby routine during the day as we seem to have the night times sorted. I was just curious to see if it would be better for Curtis. I fed him at 7am then again at 8am and soon after he fell asleep. As set out in the book I woke him from his slumber at 9.45am ready for a 10.30am nappy change and feed but he was having none of it and wasn't happy at all. I looked at his sad little face and decided then that he can continue to dictate when he has his daytime naps and awake times so long as he never sleeps more than 3 hrs at a stretch (as this may deter him from sleeping at night). He stayed awake for a quick feed and change but then slept till midday which gave me time to thoroughly clean and tidy the bedroom and wash some floors. I even had time to send some text messages and have breakfast twice! Wow, did I feel better for seeing some clean bed sheets and some tidy space about me. Curtis woke very happy from his longer nap too and was clearly more alert.

As usual it was nappies off at the changing table and lots of coo-ing, grunting and excited little screams from the wee man. I made a change however and removed the zebra!!! I thought it's maybe not best for his devlopment that he spends most of his awake time staring at the same picture. This worked at treat as he paid me much more attention and we had several little conversations including some very funny high pitched squeals and squeaks from him and a few giggles. I then put him on his front for 'tummy time' to help him strengthen his neck and arms. I always feel bad doing this as he ends up slumped on his face some of the time but today he held his neck up quite a lot and even dragged himself an inch or two along the mat. Then I put a toy down the side of the table to encourage him to become aware of his hands and this worked wonders. Poor ol' cassidy cow..a fantastic present from nanna and tiad was punched in the face numerous times each time rewarding Curtis with a jingle bell sound or crunch...he appeared to love this but I figured it was time for a feed when he began to suck Cassidy cows face. This was his longest playtime yet lasting about 50 minutes. I guess he knows best when he needs to snooze and when to be awake!

Despite grey skies I was set on going for an afternoon walk so wee man could get some air and I could continue towards get my pre-pregnancy body back....however I came back almosttwice as heavy as everything was drenched in good ol' Glasgow rain. We walked through Queens Park and along the shops in Shawlands for 1.5hrs but I really can't tell you much as everything was seen through very rain spattered spectacles. Roll on summer!

No comments: